The main reason of not knowing that a person is suffering from magnesium deficiency is that it doesn’t appear in blood tests. The amount of magnesium that is stored in the blood stream of a human system is only 1 percent. Other than that, a majority of doctors don’t include its analysis in their examination which is the second reason of not knowing about magnesium deficiency in the human system.
According to doctors, a large number of people, especially those living in industrialized countries, are suffering from magnesium deficiency but only a small number of them have knowledge about it.
What is most important about magnesium to have knowledge of?
After the basic nutrients and water, magnesium is in the list of the most important minerals that a human system needs. It is important for the development of a person.
Wanting a lot of water in a day and felling of thirst every time is a symptom of magnesium deficiency. The main reason of thirst is that the diet being taken by an individual doesn’t contain enough amount of magnesium so the body needs it by drinking water.
The problems which a person has to face due to magnesium deficiency are:
- Contraction of muscles
- Menstrual cramps
- Spasms during urinating
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Knots in throat
- High sensitivity to noise
- Affected nervous system
- Anxiety and stress
- Panic attacks
- Tingling feelings
- Numbness and laziness
Problems faced by an individual due to magnesium deficiency that are connected with the cardiovascular system are given below:
- Chest pain (angina)
- Spasm in the arteries
- Mitral valve prolapse
Importance of magnesium for human system
Magnesium is important for a human system due to the following reasons
- The human system requires it for all of its functions
- It is important for the working of enzymes
- It synthesizes proteins, carbohydrates and fat
- It is necessary for the production of energy in the human system
Low amounts of magnesium in the human system affect all the functions of the body negatively and a person has to face many diseases due to magnesium deficiency.
There is a high level of magnesium present in water which is great to avoid the deficiency so a person should consume large amounts of water every day.
Studies have shown that people with low amount of magnesium have more chances of becoming diabetic than people with enough magnesium in their body.
How to increase the intake of magnesium with diet
Men should have 300 milligrams magnesium present in their body, whereas for women it is 280 milligrams. Pregnant women should have 350 milligrams of magnesium in their system.
Magnesium is present in nuts, so a person should eat them in large amount to fulfill the deficiency.
Here are meal plans to avoid magnesium deficiency
- In breakfast, a person should take tea with low fat milk with 2 whole wheat slices of toast.
- In Mid-morning, they should intake 10 nuts or 10 almonds.
- For lunch, a cup of raw spinach, 120 grams of natural tuna and 1 cup of whole grain cooked rice should be eaten to get rid of the deficiency. If a person wants to have a dessert then they should eat a light flan with two chopped walnuts.
- For snack time, there should be low fat milk with cereal and an apple.
- In Mid-afternoon, 2 rice or oatmeal cookies with a handful of raisins should be eaten.
- For dinner, one should eat chicken breast with chard pudding and tomato and cucumber salad. Strawberries can be eaten as dessert.